Dates are one of the healthiest dry fruits that contain several vitamins, minerals, fibre, and antioxidants. Incorporating dates in your diet could help promote brain health, promote natural labor, prevent bone-related conditions (like osteoporosis), regulate blood sugar, and lower cholesterol.
Most of the good quality dates in India come from the Middle East and North America. Usually grown in tropical regions of the world, dates range in color from bright red to bright yellow.
However, with over 200 varieties of dates, choosing the right ones is crucial. To make things easier for you, we have hand-picked the top ten healthiest dates that can enhance your overall health. Let’s get started!
1. Ajwa Dates
Grown in Al-Madinah, Saudi Arabia, Ajwa Dates are also known as Holy Dates. They contain thiamin, riboflavin, folate, niacin, vitamin A & vitamin K. They also contain minerals like iron, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium & zinc.
There are several benefits of Ajwa dates, such as they may help prevent many heart-related diseases, improve bone & teeth health, and prevent diabetes. Ajwa Dates range from dark brown to almost black colour and are sweet in taste. Therefore, they are best consumed in the morning.
Ajwa Dates Health Benefits
- Incorporating Ajwa dates in your diet could prevent blood vessels in the heart from constricting and improve the overall functioning of the heart. Thanks to the high magnesium content in Ajwa, it helps maintain the heart’s rhythm.
- Ajwa dates are rich in calcium and phosphorus that helps keep bones and teeth in sound health.
- They contain natural sugars (glucose, fructose, and sucrose) in high amounts, which boost energy levels without affecting the blood sugar levels (which is great for diabetic people).
- Selenium and other nutrients present in Ajwa dates may enhance the functioning of the immune system.
- Eating Ajwa dates regularly during pregnancy may activate the womb muscles, improve blood circulation, and help in the growth of mother milk.
2. Amber Dates
The primary benefits of amber dates include promoting healthy digestion, improving heart health, preventing microbial infections, and enhancing brain functionality. In addition, many athletes find amber dates as an excellent pre-workout snack due to the high energy contents in them.
Amber Dates Health Benefits
- Amber dates are known to have anti-ageing and anti-bacterial properties as they improve the skin’s moisture retention capacity. The high content of antioxidants in amber dates benefits the skin by preventing exposure to toxins and protecting cell damage.
- Incorporating amber dates into your diet might improve your short-term memory and minimise the risk of Alzheimer disease.
- Thanks to the high content of natural sugar in amber dates, they can be used as an alternative to refined sugar.
- Amber dates are rich in fibre and antioxidants that promote healthy digestion and may prevent bowel-related issues.
3. Kalmi Dates
Also known as Safawi, kalmi dates are imported from Saudi Arabia. They are extremely soft, sweet, and come in dark black colour. Kalmi dates are rich in thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K, calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium, sugar, fibre and zinc.
Kalmi is considered one of the best dates in India as it consists of healing properties in large quantities. They are also used to treat anaemia, intoxication, and digestion-related issues.
Kalmi Dates Health Benefits
- Kalmi dates provide 1% iron and calcium per 20 grams of serving. Combined with other nutrients in it (fibre, sulphur, iron, copper, and magnesium), kalmi dates help keep the stomach healthy and provide instant relief from constipation.
- Since kalmi dates are low in fats and high in energy, it helps keep the heart-healthy.
- Regular intake of kalmi dates is known to benefit people suffering from anaemia.
- Incorporating kalmi dates into your diet may ensure that the abdomen remains healthy and minimises abdominal cancer risk.
4. Khudri Dates
Being one of the best dates in the world, Khudri dates are always in high demand. They are sweet and chewy in texture. In addition, they contain antioxidants and nutrients that are known to lower the risk of heart disease and promote digestion.
Since Khudri dates are packed with natural sugar (glucose and fructose), they can be used as an alternative to refined sugar. These sugars get absorbed in our body quickly, making them perfect for everyone (even those on strict diets).
Khudri Dates Health Benefits
- People who consume Khudri dates regularly have the lowest tendency to develop cancer.
- Even a small quantity of Khudri dates could make you feel fuller for longer, thereby promoting weight loss.
- Khudri dates are scientifically proven to stimulate the hormones that reinforce
- the uterus, thereby reducing the pain during childbirth.
- They contain natural anti-depressants and aids in developing milk for nursing mothers.
- Khudri dates contain carotenoids, a part of the vitamin A family that has a positive impact on eyesight.
5. Mabroom Dates
Mabroom dates are one of the best dates to eat. They are rich in potassium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, dietary fibre, and sodium. These nutrients help strengthen heart function, improve cognitive functions, and reduce stress.
Imported directly from Saudi Arabia, Mabroom dates have a long body, thick skin and are known for their rich taste.
Mabroom Dates Health Benefits
- Mabroom dates have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that are known to prevent cancer from developing.
- Thanks to the high sugar content, Mabroom dates help reduce stress and anxiety when consumed regularly.
- They are rich in natural antioxidants that may repair damage caused due to free radicals. As a result, you will see a reduction in wrinkles and fine lines in the long run.
- It can help you retain your skin’s elasticity, making it look radiant and healthy.
6. Mashrook Dates
Naturally gluten-free, Mashrook dates grow in many tropical regions across the globe. They are a rich source of carbohydrates, natural sugar, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Mashrook dates also contain oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, and magnesium, which are beneficial for health.
Mashrook dates are tough, skinny, and sweet in taste. Though easily available, Mashrook dates are one of those with the highest demand because of their health benefits.
Mashrook Dates Health Benefits
- The high fibre content in Mashrook dates helps provide relief from constipation. It also promotes good digestion and prevents intestinal disorders.
- Like other dates in this list, Mashrook dates are also known to improve heart health and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- When consumed regularly, Mashrook dates can help regulate blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Unlike other dates in this list, Mashrook dates promote weight gain.
- It minimises the risk of haemorrhoids (a common complication during pregnancy).
7. Medjool Dates
Imported from Jordan, Medjool dates are among the best dates to eat due to their caramel-like taste and soft, chewy texture. Known as the fruit of kings, Medjool dates have energy-boosting capabilities.
Two quantities of Medjool dates contain 27 grams of sugar, making them a perfect alternative to refined sugar. Since they contain natural sugar, they get digested quickly and don’t have any side effects.
Medjool Dates Health Benefits
- Since Medjool dates are rich in fibre, they make you feel fuller for longer, thereby promoting weight loss.
- Studies have shown that Medjool dates help lower bad (LDL) cholesterol, which, in turn, reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Medjool dates contain several antioxidants (flavonoids, carotenoids, and phenolic acids) that can protect your cells from oxidative damage, thereby preventing diseases like cancer and brain ailments.
- They contain calcium, potassium, manganese, and copper in decent amounts, which may help improve bone and teeth health.
8. Rabia Dates
Imported from Saudi Arabia, Rabia dates are one of the most widely produced and consumed varieties of dates in the world. They are small, thin, and have meaty skin with a soft texture.
Rabia dates have a unique dual-colour golden brown texture and creamy caramel-like flavour. They are known to strengthen weak hearts and prevent abdominal cancer. It can also be used to treat obesity.
Rabia Dates Health Benefits
- They are rich in calcium and phosphorus, both of which are known to improve bone health and bone mass.
- Rabia dates contain Vitamin A (and carotenoids), which is great for eyesight.
- They are rich in minerals and antioxidants that help strengthen the heart and minimise the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
9. Sagai Dates
Known for their two-toned colour and texture, Sagai dates have a crisp texture. They are usually mild in sweetness, making it perfect for eating for people with diabetes (since it contains natural sugars, it won’t have an ill-effect on the body when consumed in a limited quantity).
Sagai dates are rich in nicotinic, a vitamin that helps cure intestinal disorders. Regular usage of these dates can also help accelerate the growth of pathological organisms that help keep intestines healthy.
Sagai Dates Health Benefits
- Packed with natural sugars, fats, and carbohydrates, Sagai dates help in weight gain.
- When consumed regularly, Sagai dates can keep your heart healthy and mitigate the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- When blended with cardamom powder and honey, Sagai dates can help overcome sexual weakness.
- They can help relieve alcoholic intoxication easily.
- Being a laxative fruit, Sagai dates can help get relief from constipation.
10. Sukkary Dates
Sukkary is derived from the word “Sukkur,”
which means sugar in Arabic. Just like other dates in this list, Sukkari dates are very sweet and have a crisp texture. It is known to help prevent tooth decay, lower cholesterol, and reduce fatigue.
Sukkari dates are a perfect, healthy replacement for sweet treats. The enticing taste of Sukkari dates will reward you with several health benefits while satiating your sweet tooth. Besides, they are eaten in both fresh and dry forms.
Sukkary Dates Health Benefits
- Sukkari dates help keep skin healthy and moist.
- The high level of sodium and potassium in Sukkari dates help maintain the blood pressure in the body.
- Sukkari dates have a good amount of iron, which helps cure anaemia.
- Regular consumption of Sukkari dates helps regulate blood cholesterols.
- A great snack for people with low diabetes.
Dates are one of the healthiest dry fruits that contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Regular consumption of dates can help improve digestion, regulate blood pressure levels, and enhance heart health.
You can get the best quality dates in India from Occasions Dry Fruits. We import our products from different countries across the globe. We then analyse the quality of dates in our FSSAI-approved packaging facility before shipping them to customers.
What are you waiting for? Order your favourite dates now!